Thursday 20 December 2007

DAVID CAMERON'S INCREDIBLE JOURNEY

I've just finished watching "David Cameron' s Incredible Journey " on the BBC. I have to say it's left me feeling slightly depressed and I'm not really quite sure why. Even allowing for the BBC's usual editorial slant I wish I could believe a little more whole heartedly in his ability to keep the party all pulling in the same direction.

It seems that "leadership=PR prowess" these days in the eyes of world. This is a real problem for any leader as the two main parties are such broad churches that the balancing act between party and media is often impossible to achieve. The programme certainly showed David Cameron's ups and downs in this respect, his conference speech was a genuine masterpiece and one can only admire his ability to speak without a script. There are however still major gaps in my understanding of his policy on some areas (am I missing something?).

I would like to know how he intends to deal with the EU problems that Labour have landed us with, at some point he has to stand up to the old guard in the Conservative party (unless of course he's one of them but isn't telling us) and put forward a policy for a much more robust attitude towards a federal Europe.

I should also say I am not anti Europe I am pro democracy and the current EU set up has no hint of democracy and a large whiff of hypocrisy.

1 comment:

Newmania said...

Now there I disagree , I have always found Mr. Cameron most impressive , in fact the shadow cabinet are altogether are a high powered front line .
On Europe I am probably more of an antui than you but I cansee its a difficult issue electorally for David Cameron with the swing seats so predominantly Liberal

Looking back at what Ecawrtd hetaynwas up to as against what was told to the people i dread to think what isreally happening now